Yoga, which means “to unite”, is an ancient body, mind and spirit practice originally from India. It has been adapted to our current society to help us deal with problems caused by our hectic lifestyles. Modern society comes at a cost to our physical health. As we become sedentary and unhealthy, we develop anxieties and stress-related problems. Yoga is a holistic practice and can therefore help us with all of these problems.
- On a physical level, Yoga makes the muscles strong, flexible, mobile and optimizes internal organ function.
- On a psychological level, Yoga steadies emotions, calms the mind, aids in concentration and builds self-awareness.
- On a spiritual level, Yoga invites stillness, time for reflection and inner peace.
(Click to enlarge)
Hatha Yoga unites the body and breath by moving through a sequence of held postures (asanas) and practicing breathing/relaxation techniques (pranayama).
I offer Vinyasa-style slow flow Yoga classes with a sprinkle of Yin and Restorative poses blended into the classes.
Anyone, irrespective of age, sex, race or religion can practice Yoga.
Amy’s Approach to Yoga Teaching
I have been teaching general Hatha Yoga since 2007 and have developed a relaxed teaching style that blends breath (pranayama), flexibility, strength, and balance. I encourage flowing from one posture to the next, uniting breath and movement, and integrating Yoga props (blocks, belts, blankets, etc.) when needed. I like to structure my classes with varied breathing techniques; standing, kneeling, seated and lying down postures; as well as rest and relaxation.
Amy holds a 500 hour yoga teacher training certificate, CYA-E-RYT 500, from the Canadian Yoga Alliance.
All classes emphasize the ABCs of yoga:
- A – be aware of who you are, what you are doing, and why you are practicing yoga
- B – breathe!
- C – have compassion for yourself and those around you.
Classes range from gentle to rigorous, always leaving time for shavasana (rest)! I am happy to support and guide you during your practice, while providing a safe, joyous environment to explore your body, mind and spirit.View our Yoga Classes